Written by Kelly Weimert
It’s no secret that the environment you’re in can play a major role in how you feel, but did you know that it can also make you more productive at work?
As it turns out, there are a ton of incredibly simple and economical decor tricks you can integrate into your office that will make you feel more energized, inspired and motivated to take on the day, even during the dreaded afternoon slump.
And the beauty of most of these tips is that they can be applied to nearly any office—large or small, home or away. So, no matter the interior circumstances you’re working with, try one, two or all eight of these ideas to create a happier, healthier and more productive workspace.
- Maximize LightingThe Fancy Things Optimizing your lighting is one of the easiest ways to boost your energy and reduce the eye strain that comes from trying to read with low light. If you’re able, maximize the natural light you’re working with as much as possible by utilizing sheer, breezy window treatments rather than heavy and opaque. But even if your control over your natural light is limited, opting for bright white bulbs will make a big difference in your daily energy reserves.
- Decluttered Minimalism Clean and Cool. StylizimoA minimalist aesthetic does more than make your space look all kinds of chic and inviting; it also makes it easier to get things done. Clutter around your office runs the risk of making you feel overwhelmed and far more stressed than necessary. So, aim to keep your office simple and clutter-free for an exhale-inducing vibe each and every day.
- Inspiring Colors Inspire with Color. Honestly WTFColor is packed with productivity potential, so use it with abandon. Scientific studies abound touting the direct influence of color on both mood and productivity. Blueish colors stimulate the mind, yellow hues inspire creativity and green induces feelings of relaxation, but of course, this can vary from person to person. Identify colors you find personally stimulating and incorporate them wherever you can.
- Invigorating Scents Work as Good as You Smell. ViennaWedekindThe key to staying stimulated all the live long day is to make sure none of your senses are neglected, and that means paying mind to the scents wafting through your space. Peppermint is commonly used to energize and refresh, aiding concentration, while citrusy scents can uplift and de-stress. And if you’re worried you’ll forget to blow out a scented candle, essential oil diffusers are a great—and ultra-safe—way to ensure your scent game is strong.
- Lively Greenery Invigorate with Greenery. The Lovely DrawerAs humans, we’re natural beings that can seriously suffer if we don’t have enough nature in our day-to-day. Fortunately, it’s an easy problem to combat. Adding greenery to your workspace will bring feel-good vibes while purifying your air and it offers more opportunities to customize and enhance your interior with decorative pots and vases.
- Motivational Messages Inspire Your Soul. Woman & DeliceWhen you feel blah and uninspired, it’s tough to churn out your best work. It also makes it easy to forget why you’re working so hard, to begin with. Adding a few pieces to showcase your favorite motivational messages can make a serious impact on your daily output. And these days there are so many different typography styles, prints, and photos to choose from, that you’re bound to find the perfect piece (or two) to fit your fancy.
- Practical (And Pretty) Storagebelchonock/Getty Images One of the biggest culprits behind the productivity-zapping chaos that is a clutter-filled desk is simply not having a proper home for everything on it. Incorporating neat and tidy storage boxes to house things like writing utensils, papers before they’re processed, and miscellaneous office supplies will instantly make your space appear more organized and make it a whole lot easier to keep it that way.
- Inspiring Vision Board What’s Your Vision?. The Every GirlA corkboard featuring daily to-dos certainly helps on the productivity front, but adding goals for the future in the form of photos and messages will increase its producing power tenfold. Try turning your cork board into a vision board featuring the things you’d most like to accomplish in the near and distant future and watch as your daily motivation levels increase.